5 Reasons Why You Need to Exfoliate
1 – GIVE YOUR SKIN A HUG, SCRUB!
Exfoliation, the removal of old skin cells on skin’s outermost surface, is the quickest way to:
- even out skintone
- brighten complexion
- smooth fine lines and wrinkles
- boost skin’s moisture levels
- deep-clean pores
- guarantee better absorption of your follow-up skincare products
There is no other like exfoliation! It makes your skin breathe and feel alive. The application of other skincare products will be more efficient and faster absorbing.
2 – WHICH EXFOLIATORS TO USE?
Exfoliating creams are divided into products with beads and products with acid and/or enzymes. The first exfoliators that hit our shop shelves 20-30 years ago, always contained large beads, either pieces of apricot stone or polyethylene (plastic granules whose use in skincare products is now prohibited).
I still remember the scratchy feel and flaky skin, that stayed long after exfoliating. The same era has also planted the seed into the heads of many that skin will not get clean and smooth if a scrub doesn’t contain beads or granules of some sort. This could be objected to but isn’t really necessary as the beads used today, often made from hydrogenated oils, are much softer and gentle on skin.
The world of acids and enzymes is fascinating and full of choices! Acids are divided into AHA and BHA acids. AHAs are best for dry, aging skin, that lacks moisture. Whilst BHAs are beneficial for oily, porous skin, that is troubled by acne or the appearance of pimples from time to time.
3 – MORE ON ACIDS, WHAT TO USE AND WHEN
AHAs, alpha hydroxy acids, are organic carboxylic acids found in fruits and other natural sources, they are often used in cosmetic products. Glycolic acid being the most used of the bunch, lactic acid and citric acid are less used. They are water-soluble and act on the outer layer of skin, not penetrating below the surface. Used for surface cell exfoliation, they increase the production of collagen and elastin and strengthen skin’s protective barrier. There is only one type of BHAs, oil-soluble salicylic acid. Thanks to that property, BHAs can absorb into oily pores and clean them out. Extremely necessary to reduce clogged pores and effectively care for combination and oily skin.
GOOD TO KNOW:
- After acid peels, products with an SPF factor NEED to be applied and during the summer it is wise to exfoliate in the evening.
- Glycolic acid makes skin the most sun sensitive. Lactic acid is effective yet gentle.
- Acid exfoliators can be used during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
- Take special care whilst using exfoliators if you have extremely sensitive skin or rosacea as it can cause a skin rash.
- Acid exfoliators can cause a slight tingly feeling and redness. In case that happens, you need to wash off the product from skin.
4 – WHAT OTHER INGREDIENTS COULD EXFOLIATORS AND PEELS CONTAIN?
Exfoliation is necessary for every skin type and works especially well to prevent aging and reduce the signs of aging, helps to reduce the appearance of pimples and to even out skintone. According to each skin type’s special need, the product should contain:
- Natural oils – such as olive, jojoba, avocado or babassu oil. The oils make the skin soft and aid skin’s protective barrier.
- Effective moisturizers – that penetrate deep into the skin and support cell renewal.
- Algae extract – found in the Baltic Sea, it efficiently reduces the amount of toxins and residues left on skin, it adds moisture, smooths and tightens skin.
- Herbal stem cell extract or peptides – effective components supporting skin’s elasticity and firmness.
5- HOW OFTEN TO EXFOLIATE?
It depends on the condition of your skin and your state of mind. If after cleansing, you feel that the skin feels slightly rough and uneven to the touch and has a texture resembling sandpaper, then we recommend to exfoliate. Exfoliators with acids or PEELS are used like masks. They are applied on face and left to work for 3-7 minutes. Beaded exfoliators are applied on skin, left for a couple of minutes and massaged for a minute before being washed off. If you get a tingly uncomfortable feeling then you don’t have to wait for the recommended leave-on time marked on the package and can wash the product off sooner. Aftewards, it is good to use a serum followed by a cream. Glowy skin and an even skin tone is achievable thanks to exfoliation 24/7 and all-year round.
Author of the article: Carmen Kibur, D’DIFFERENCE brand manager